Womens Health
Womens Health Home
Aetna Home
Contact Us
Where To Get Help

From the National Institute Of Mental Health

If you're unsure where to go for help, ask your family doctor. You can also check the phone book under "mental health," "health," "social services," "hotlines," or "physicians" for phone numbers and addresses. An emergency room doctor also can provide temporary help and can tell you where and how to get further help.

Others who can help are:

  • Mental health specialists, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, or mental health counselors
  • Health maintenance organizations
  • Community mental health centers
  • Hospital psychiatry departments and outpatient clinics
  • State hospital outpatient clinics
  • Family service, social agencies or clergy
  • Private clinics and facilities
  • Employee assistance programs
  • Local medical and/or psychiatric societies
  • Peer support groups
What if I or someone I know is in crisis?

Women are more likely than men to attempt suicide. If you are thinking about harming yourself or attempting suicide, tell someone who can help immediately.
  • Call your doctor.
  • Call 911 for emergency services.
  • Go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
  • Call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255); TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889) to be connected to a trained counselor at a suicide crisis center nearest you.

Last updated January 14, 2010